The Commercial Facade Improvement Program (CFIP) provides grant funding to commercial and industrial property owners eligible for the Facade Improvement Program, to redesign, renovate or restore commercial and industrial building facades. This could include replacing or repairing windows, doors, lighting, awnings, brickwork, signage, or making building entrances wheelchair accessible.
It is mandatory that applications include at least three of the eligible facade improvements listed below:
- Brick cleaning facade treatments such as power washing
- Exterior painting excluding bricks
- Replacement of doors and windows
- Replacement and/or repair of cornices, parapets and other architectural features
- Replacement and/or repair of awnings or canopies
- Repair and/or re-pointing of facade masonry
- Installation and improvement of signage
- Installation of exterior decorative lighting and upgrading of fixtures
- Redesign of storefront
- Installation of wheelchair accessibility ramps
- Other improvements agreed to by the General Manager of Economic Development & Culture
Half of the cost of eligible and approved improvements to a commercial or industrial building facade is covered and will be based on the lowest contractor estimate submitted with the application. The minimum funding provided by the City is $2,500 with maximum of $10,000 for non-corner properties. A corner property is eligible for a maximum funding of $12,500, provided improvements are proposed for both the front and corner-side wall of the building facing a public road.
To be qualified for the Commercial Facade Improvement Program, you need to meet the following criteria:
- You must be the owner of the property used for commercial or industrial purposes at street level or be a tenant having the written permission of the property owner
- Your building must be located in a BIA that offers the Commercial Facade Improvement Program.
- You must not owe outstanding taxes to the City of Toronto
- You must not start your improvement project before the application is approved by the City of Toronto
- You have not received the maximum commercial facade funding for your property in the previous 10 years.
The Commercial Facade Improvement Program Application Package is available in both electronic and hard copy format. For an electronic copy, visit the City website. For a hardcopy, please contact staff in Toronto Business Services.
City of Toronto staff review all applications.
There is a three stage application process for the Commercial Facade Improvement Program.
Stage 1: Application form is completed and submitted to the City of Toronto for review
Stage 2: Application is reviewed by the City of Toronto, and is approved or declined
Stage 3: City of Toronto issues payment to successful applicants after completion of the agreed upon work, within the established deadline.
NOTE: This program is subject to funding availability. All applications will be reviewed in the order in which they are received. Please call to confirm that your property falls within one of the eligible BIAs.
Benefits of the program:
The program will not only help to improve the appearance of your building facade but will also improve the economic vitality of the commercial or industrial area, by improving streetscapes and providing a more welcoming environment to work, shop and live.